Sunday, January 27, 2013

Growing Pains

While praying in the chapel after mass, I was contemplating life, and how it is filled with various sufferings and challenges.  Suffering can be thrust upon us from the outside world, or can be brought about through our own doing.  At times we can become so accustomed to our current state, however miserable it may be.  Very often we decide to stay put, fearing change and the great unknown.  But nothing good ever comes from this.  Sure, God's grace can work wonders, even in these stagnant moments of our lives, but how much more when we put that grace into action!

I had an image of a bone in ones body, growing to full maturation.  Many kids will complain of "growing pains" during adolescence  wishing they could be taken away.  But look at the fruits that come from their temporary pain!  They grow into strong, healthy adults, capable of many more things than when they were their smaller selves.  But like most good things, it comes in time.  As Jean Royer points out:

"God waits patiently for me to wake up, grow up, come to the awareness that great works take time, that nothing truly worthwhile can be rushed... How difficult it is not to interfere, to try to take over, to go it alone.  But God cannot succeed without me.  God needs my whole-hearted cooperation in this work."

I imagine myself, and my relationship with God, in a very similar manner.  I could choose to stay where I am at spiritually and emotionally, because it is comfortable and familiar.  However, even this choice, as "easy" and "comfortable" as it looks, would bring about a certain amount of suffering; the pain of stagnation.  Or, I could choose to endure the difficulties of change, and face the great unknown.  It is true that I may fall occasionally along the path, but I know that the Great Physician will always be there to mend my broken bones.  And as my mom reminded me, when bones rebuild, they become stronger.  #chapelthoughts #theYOLOdiaries #crossingtheJordan


No comments:

Post a Comment