Friday, January 25, 2013

This is "The YOLO Diaries"


There is a popular term in today’s culture, especially among our younger generations – “YOLO.”  It stands for You Only Live Once, and has been called the modern day “Carpe Diem.”  Often times you will find people using this term to justify questionable actions, assuming that they can do whatever they want, all for the sake of YOLO! Many use this term as a way to write off their immoral actions, in an effort to squelch their knowledge of the fact that what they are doing is wrong.  I myself have been guilty of this, and will continue to struggle with this temptation.  For that is life.  Nonetheless, I feel called to raise my voice, and stick up for what I think is right, calling on others to reclaim a term that does hold a raw truth, of infinite beauty; one that calls you to live radically, making the most of the time you have. In the process, I call myself on to continued growth, in my endeavor to live a radical life, striving to glorify God through this life that he has given me, that I only get to live once, this side of heaven.

Looking back, it is hard to pinpoint exactly when I felt drawn to form an opinion on this term, and I suppose it doesn’t really matter.  In the past, I have been known to take things to the extreme, rarely thinking about the consequences of my actions, and for a while, I did that with this term.  But in the more recent months, I have been moving into a time of deep personal growth, spending more time in philosophical thought on my actions, and general way of living.  One person that I resonate with is Christopher McCandless, whose life story was captured by John Krakauer in the book, “Into the Wild.”  Chris endured many hardships in his home environment growing up, but despite all this, he followed his dreams, embraced his passions, and lived a radical life on the edge.  Despite all his setbacks, and the countless people who doubted him, he stayed true to his calling.  He lived a life of love, and treated himself, and those who he came into contact with respect.  Chris thought deeply, and acted intentionally. He took chances.  He trusted his gut. Most importantly, he followed his heart. 

That is what this blog is all about.  It is a call to follow my heart, wherever it leads.  It is a call to face the challenges in living out my faith, standing up for what I believe.  This blog is an opportunity to get outside of my head, turning thoughts into words, and it gives me something to reference in times of struggle.  It is a blog of my triumphs and failings, strengths and weaknesses, thoughts and observations. I am not a writer, but I have things to say.  I am not a counselor, but I desire to help.  I am not a missionary, but I want to serve.  This is my life.  This is “The YOLO Diaries.”


Jordan - Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment